What does this expression make you think of?
Can you give some examples?
What can you find in most global cities?
What do they have in common? In terms of culture? Business? Services? Population? Architecture?
WHAT IS A GLOBAL CITY?
- a large population
- international financial institutions, law firms, corporate headquarters, stock
- exchanges that have influence on the world economy, an advanced communication infrastructure
- several international cultures and communities
- a major international airport that provides flights to different parts of the world
- an advanced transportation system that offers multiple modes of transportation
a lively cultural scene, including film festivals, a thriving music ortheater scene, art galleries and street performers, cultural institutions such as museums and universities several powerful and influential media outlets with an international reach
NEW YORK…NEW YORK … WHAT MAKES NEW YORK A GLOBAL CITY?
- New York is a populous and diverse city with a population of 8.274.527
- ¨melting pot¨ : 36% of the city`s population is foreign born
- New York City is the top international air passenger gateway to the US Transportation:more than 12.000 yellow cabs
- the New York City Subway: open 24 hours per day
- A network of major cultural institutions such as Metropolitan Museum of Art ,The Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts
- Universities: New York is home to many universities such as Columbia University, New York University…
- Media: New York is a global center for the television, music and newspaper industries.
- New York is a major center for international affairs.
- It is home to the United Nations headquartes complex.
- Many major corporations are headquartered in New York City
- New York: one of the three ¨command centers¨ for the world economy
- One of the key cities in global communication
- New York Stock Exchange
- Social polarization
- High cost of living
- High competition for top positions