Myths & Heroes
1- Definitions :
– Hero(oes) :
1) a man/woman distinguished by exceptional courage, nobility, fortitude…
2) a man/woman who is idealized for possessing superior qualities in any field.
3) Classical myth: a being of extraordinary strength & courage, often the offspring of a mortal & a god, who is celebrated for his exploits.
4) a fictious cgaracter
5) it can also be a modern hero, a person who has performed a heroic act or simply our own prsonal hero, our role model, who we look up to. (examples can be: a patriotic or national hero, an icon or role model, unknown heroes- rescue workers, firemen, charity workers, soldiers, our own personal hero)
– Myth: 1) a story about superhuman beings of an earlier age taken by preliterate society to be a true account, usually of how natural phenomena, social customs,… came into existence.
2) another word for mythology
3) a person or a thing whose existence is fictional or unproven.
4) (philosophy) an allegory or parable (especially in Plato)
– Icon: 1) an image; a representation
2) a representation or picture of a sacred or sanctified Christian personage, traditionally used & venerated in the Eastern Church.
3) An important & enduring symbol
4) One who is the object of great attention & devotion; an idol.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA7MKdJ3chs
How can a hero become an anti-hero?
Why are myths and heroes important to our society?
What is a modern-day hero? How have they made an impact on our lives?
Why are sports heroes important in today´s society?
How can an ordinary person become a hero/make the world a better place ?
To what extent do successful people represent the American dream?
What makes a hero? is a hero someone who does a heroic act or is it simply someone doing his/her job?
To what extent are sports heroes real heroes?
In today´s society to what extent is there a need for myths (and heroes) ?
What is the role of the media in the making of a hero? (Power of the media – voir notion power and seats of power)
What is the role of the media in the rise and fall of certain ¨heroes¨?